Sunday, May 9, 2010

What an experience!

This weekend I got to experience a small amount of what it is like to be a wedding photographer, and boy what an experience it was. A good friend of mine, Gabrielle Halle (Lockman), got married and I had the great pleasure of photographing her reception. Gabrielle is a fellow photographer, GR| Photography, and one of the people that made me get into photography. She is an amazing photographer, and if you have the time you should check out her work.

I was asked if I wouldn't mind shooting her reception.  I was more than happy to say yes after giving her a full disclaimer that in NO WAY would I consider myself someone that should be trusted with capturing a day as important as this.

Being such an important day I wanted to prepare myself as much as possible. I went up to the reception hall the day before, with the itinerary in hand, and planned the whole thing in my head and took about a 130+ test shots. I did not want to mess this up! I went back the next day and lowered shades to get rid of excess lighting, removed bulletins/flyers that were on walls and doors, and even staged items/props in certain spots. Now I was ready, if that's what you want to call it.

I ended the day with about 850+ pictures from myself and 150+ pictures from the photobooth I set up. I will post a couple pictures after the bride gets them first. In the mean time here are two shots I did as a gift to the bride & groom.

The below is my first ever HDR picture, and was given matted/framed as a wedding gift. When I had to decide what my first HDR was going to be, it only took a split second to come up with this. I headed to the church after work and got this amazing result. It ended up being used in a display at the couples reception.

No comments:

Post a Comment